My Story

In 2019, following the birth of our first daughter, a close friend of mine (with a daughter a similar age) was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had a family history. Her diagnosis made me think about my maternal aunt having had breast cancer when she was in her late 30's. I had always marked the family history box on medical forms but never had genetic testing to further investigate my specific risks. When I brought up my concerns to my midwife (I was then pregnant with our second daughter), she ordered genetic testing. Turns out, I have an ATM gene mutation. Newer studies have shown that my specific form of the ATM mutation puts me at almost as high of a lifetime risk for developing breast cancer as a BRCA gene mutation (45-65%+). The general population lifetime risk is 12-13% for the U.S. (National Cancer Center Institute.)

My genetic diagnosis in 2019 prompted me becoming a patient at the True Family Women's Cancer Center, with annual appointments at the center including a breast exam. My care plan also included an annual mammogram, an annual MRI, and a second breast exam at my annual PCP well check. Essentially every three months I was to receive some sort of breast screening. This way, a calendar year would not pass without breast cancer being detected. I had to forego the MRI while pregnant/breastfeeding though, which for me lasted five years straight between our three kids (that's a story for another post!).

Fast-forward to mid-winter break February 2023. I scheduled a mammogram plus my yearly True Center visit for the same day (Tuesday, Feb 21st). I had the mammogram in the morning and my True Center visit/physical exam that afternoon. My care provider at the True Center said, "You look and feel good." Phew. But then I got a phone call in the late afternoon that I needed to return to the imaging clinic for another mammogram and an ultrasound the next day (this has happened before and I didn't think too much of it).

Next Day (Wednesday, February 22nd): When the super kind nurse performing my mammo and ultrasound said she already checked the schedule and they had an opening for a biopsy, if needed, immediately following the ultrasound I sensed something was up. And when the radiologist came in to perform a second ultrasound himself, I knew that wasn't a good sign either. The radiologist told me the mass they found looked to be cancer and if it wasn't cancer yet, it could/would likely develop into cancer. I would need to wait for biopsy results to come in Friday to confirm. 

Friday, February 24th: I received a phone call from the radiologist (thankfully before I read my results online). Ductal Carcinoma breast cancer. The most common form with lots of treatment options available. But will have to wait for pathology following surgery to confirm exactly what my treatment plan will look like. Scheduled a consult with a breast surgeon and oncology for the following Friday (3/3) and an MRI (3/1).

Wednesday, March 1st (MRI Results): Invasive Ductal Carcinoma with some extra suspicious spots. Need more ultrasounds and biopsies. 

Friday, March 3rd: Met with a breast surgeon and will have surgery hopefully within a month! Pathology following surgery will tell us next steps for plan of care and treatment.

I'm exhausted. Thankful for my supportive family, friends, healthcare facilities and medical workers in Seattle, and my new running support group. If you know me, I wasn't a runner AT ALL. But now it looks like I am. :) Time to buy new shoes.

On a liturgical note, we are in the season of Lent. And this year, I'm giving up cancer. We purge and clean and let go and make way for new growth and new beginnings.

Thank you for your thoughts, prayers, messages, love, and gifts of time and treats already. I appreciate you all.

Comments

Popular Posts