ONE YEAR



One. Year. 
It's been a whole year since I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma. The day after a mammogram turned up something suspicious on February 21 to 2023. (A word to the wise, if you think you are going to get a cancer diagnosis, don't open MyChart in the middle of the night by yourself. Thank God my sweet husband is used to me balling my eyes out on normal days...)

My advice to you is advocate hard for yourself. It saved my life. Two years ago I was getting my routine mammogram when the mammogram tech questioned why I was having it done. "You're breastfeeding and only 35," she said. "You should come back when you're forty." Nope! I dug in my heels. I explained my genetic mutation and she didn't seem convinced until I said she could get someone else to do the imaging but I wasn't leaving until it was done. She kind of apologized, and reluctantly gave me a mammogram. THE VERY NEXT YEAR I HAD CANCER. Thank God that next mammogram tech was an angel. She made sure she was the one to give me my ultrasound the day after my routine appointment along with an amazing radiologist. And she held my hand during my biopsy. I'm so thankful for the care at Swedish this past year. 

I'm still fighting hard. Lots of appointments, lots of medications with *lovely* side effects, no alcohol, lots of exercise and sleep (my apologies to my husband who always takes the earliest morning shift). 

My reconstruction surgery is in less than 5 months! July 8th. I will be in the hospital for two-ish days. Josh is taking two weeks off and my family will be helping out a lot. The main part of recovery is six-eight weeks. I will likely wear a compression garment around my chest and abdomen. I'm nervous/terrified and also excited to just get it over with. 

In case you were waiting for a sign or nudge, here it is. Get screened. Do self-exams. Make that appointment. Ask about your family history. Listen to your gut. Forever thankful I did. 

Xx
Lauren


Comments

Popular Posts